oTree Forum >

Heroku stack deprecation

#1 by Evan_Calford

Hi,

I have started to receive notifications from Heroku that my stack (Heroku-18) is deprecated. 

The instructions that Heroku provides for upgrading are close to incomprehensible for me -- I use oTree hub precisely so I don't have to deal with the heroku backend. 

Is there any way to handle the upgrade via oTree Hub?

Thanks,

Evan

#2 by Chris_oTree

Hi, thanks for raising this! I investigated a bit. I'll make sure to manage the auto-upgrade before Feb 2023, which is the deadline for making the upgrade. For now you can continue as usual and your builds will be fine.

#3 by Evan_Calford

No worries. Thanks!

#4 by David_Campoverde

Is there an update on this topic? I am getting alert messages too

#5 by Chris_oTree

Can you show the alert you are getting?

#6 by David_Campoverde

Your recently built app decision-experiment is using the Heroku-18 stack, which is deprecated.
Since February 1st, 2023, the first build of each Heroku-18 app within a 7-day period has been failing with a deprecation notice.
From April 1st, 2023, the frequency of these failures will increase to the first build of each app per day.
On April 30th, 2023, Heroku-18 reaches end-of-life; apps using it will no longer receive security updates, and be run at your own risk.
From May 1st, 2023, builds will no longer be allowed for Heroku-18 apps.
Please upgrade to a newer stack as soon as possible.
See the Heroku-18 End-Of-Life FAQ for more details.

#7 by Chris_oTree

This was an email you received?

Are you deploying through oTree Hub? When you build the app, oTree Hub should be displaying a message like this which gives the instructions on how to fix it:

You can fix this error by upgrading oTree.
        Or, if you need to use an older oTree version, 
        then install the Heroku CLI and run this command: "heroku stack:set heroku-20 --app YOUR-SITE-NAME"

#8 by David_Campoverde

Yes, that is an email. I am using oTree Hub but I get no message from there. I uploaded and it gave me an error that said I should contact you then uploaded again and it worked but I received that email. 

DOes it matter what otree I have if I am using otree hub? if yes What should I do to upgrade my app?

Thanks 
David Campoverde

#9 by David_Campoverde

Yes, that is an email. I am using oTree Hub but I get no message from there. I uploaded and it gave me an error that said I should contact you then uploaded again and it worked but I received that email. 

DOes it matter what otree I have if I am using otree hub? if yes What should I do to upgrade my app?

Thanks 
David Campoverde

#10 by MouliModak

Hi,

I am also getting this email. What version of otree should I be using? Currently I am using otree==5.6.0

Thank you,
Mouli Modak

#11 by Chris_oTree

At least version 5.9.2. Latest version preferred.

#12 by Jin

Hi Chris,

I developed my app in Otree 3.3 before and found the deprecation problem with Heroku. I tried to upgrade my Otree, but it should dj_database_url not found. Since Heroku is going to stop 18-stack soon, could you give some advice on my problem?

#13 by mitnec

I deploy through OTree Hub and I'm developing with 5.10.2, but I'm getting the "Your app's stack is approaching end-of-life (Heroku-18) emails.

I am not prompted with 
        You can fix this error by upgrading oTree.
        Or, if you need to use an older oTree version,

What should I do?

#14 by Chris_oTree

I investigated a bit more. For all of you getting these warnings, it is necessary for you to upgrade the stack of your apps via the dashboard.

Go to:
https://dashboard.heroku.com/

It will list each app's stack. Click on each app with heroku-18, and in the "settings" section there is a big button to upgrade the stack.

Write a reply

Set forum username