oTree Forum >

Impact of changes in HEROKU's fee structure

#1 by Kengo1984

Dear all,

Heroku announced that they will stop free services such as free Heroku Dynos, free Heroku Postgres, and free Heroku Data for Redis from November 28th, 2022.

I would like to know how the subscription service of oTree is affected by the change in Heroku service.
Will both the open-source and regular sites provided by oTree be deleted unless I upgrade the plan?

Any pieces of information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Kengo SUZUKI

#2 by Chris_oTree

Hi, it sounds like Heroku will shut down free dynos and delete free databases starting on that date. So I recommend to upgrade to paid dynos through oTree Hub before then. Note that if you are a student you can get free credits through the Heroku student program: https://blog.heroku.com/github-student-developer-program

In oTree Hub, go to your app's "configure" tab and you can select hobby-basic dynos (not hobby-dev) and Hobby postgres (not Free).

Redis and worker dyno are no longer required in oTree versions from the past 2 years.

By the way it sounds like Heroku has added "Eco" dynos which are cheaper than the hobby dynos. If so I will add those as an option in oTree Hub.

#3 by Kengo1984

Thank you very much Chris,

I recognized that the subscription service of oTree will not be changed as far as I upgrade the dynos and postgres.

#4 by Chris_oTree

Yes oTree Hub just charges a flat monthly fee, independent of what Heroku charges you for dynos etc.

#5 by Victor

These eco and mini plans sound interesting. I wonder how expensive they will be. We'll see I guess.

#6 by Chris_oTree

there is more info here: https://blog.heroku.com/new-low-cost-plans

"we’re thrilled to announce our new Eco Dynos plan, which will cost $5 for 1,000 compute hours a month, shared across all of your eco dynos."

Looks like the mini postgres is $5/month.

#7 by Chris_oTree

It sounds to me like you can have multiple sites running using the eco dynos, and you just pay $5 in total.

#8 by Victor

That sounds very reasonable to me but i am no poor student anymore ;-)

#9 by Chris_oTree

Yes combined with the free credits program I think it is pretty reasonable. Heroku was apparently getting overrun by people abusing the free accounts to mine crypto, illegal filesharing, etc.

Write a reply

Set forum username