oTree Forum >

otree deployment using own server

#1 by astrid

Hi, we would like to deploy otree experiments using our own server instead of Heroku. Does anyone know which specs should the server have? thank you!
Astrid

#2 by BonnEconLab

At the BonnEconLab, we use virtual machines running Ubuntu Server (barebones, without any resource-consuming graphical user interface) to host oTree experiments.

Each VM is equipped with 4 CPU cores, 16 GB of RAM, and 120 GB hard disk capacity.

In our case, this is probably overkill in each of the three dimensions — given that we use a dedicated VM per experimenter. I guess that 2 CPU cores, 8 GB of RAM, and 60 GB of hard disk capacity would be enough for most experiments (unless you conduct experiments with hundreds of concurrent participants or experiments that involve large video files).

Of course, if you would like to grant multiple experimenters access to the same server and allow them to run several studies simultaneously, then having multiple CPU cores, a large amount of RAM, and ample HD capacity will be beneficial.

(The latter can be achieved by an appropriately configured nginx reverse proxy. Please let me know if you would like me to describe this in greater detail.)

Write a reply

Set forum username